Friday, April 8, 2022

Wu's TV Corner #5: The Manhunter

 


https://thegoldenhornblog.blogspot.com/2020/05/the-manhunter.html

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0641409/

1974 CBS. "The Baby-Faced Killers." A Quinn Martin Production. Ken Howard is a farmer and ex-Marine in the Depression who hunts down men as a bounty hunter as a way to make extra money. Guest stars are Paul Koslo, Lynne Marta, Denver Pyle, Whit Bissel, Ford Rainey, Michael Burns, Bob Hastings. I picked an episode at random on Youtube and unfortunately got the worst quality one. There are several available on different channels, so you might want to avoid this particular episode, which is in black and white. I had already done the prep work for this so I didn't want to find another ep. It's watchable.

Denver Pyle hires Dave to find his son, who is an outlaw, before the law does. Michael Burns plays the son. He is part of a criminal gang pulling off robberies. Paul Koslo is also part of the gang and I am a big Paul Koslo fan. Usually a slimy bad guy during his career. Right around this time he did Joe Kidd, The Laughing Policeman, and Mr. Majestyk. Most of these shows I watched a couple of years ago on Youtube, but this one only recently became available so it was a new one for me. I am a fan of period detective shows and also a fan of most of the Quinn Martin series I have watched. I like the act breaks and fun titles that have made them famous.

Wiki tells me The Manhunter was up against Get Christie Love! on ABC, and Petrocelli on NBC, and only got one full season. I don't think this series has been seen very often, so this is a nice bonus for the Youtube TV nerds like me. I am definitely not the only person who searches for old forgotten TV shows to watch. 

Not a great episode of The Manhunter but the premise and period detail will get me to watch more. Dave has a tricked-out car where he stashes weapons in hidden compartments and I didn't get to see much of that in this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment