Sunday, April 3, 2022

Wu's TV Corner #3: Dweebs

 


https://thegoldenhornblog.blogspot.com/2020/02/dweebs.html

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0840090/

1995 CBS. "Pilot." Painfully 90s nerd sitcom. I had to move Dweebs up on the schedule because the Youtube channel it is on is certain to get deleted. I watched one different episode a couple of years ago that has been deleted. Even when I was doing my initial TV research you couldn't really find much about this show. Only six aired. Peter Scolari, Stephen Tobolowsky, Farrah Forke, Corey Feldman, David Kaufman.

Poor Farrah Forke, who sadly just died recently, actually has the line, "What in God's name is email?" I found that to be hilarious. She was very good in this, playing the new office manager who knew nothing at all about tech and was faking it. Very funny. The rest of the cast is also very good. In the deleted episode I watched, Peter Scolari got to juggle. He was an accomplished juggler so I always liked when they would throw that in.

The story is that the tiny computer company with the dweebs in a garage has made it big and now they need a real office manager. Peter Scolari is the big boss with a trampoline in this office. He's usually incoherent, but apparently a genius. David Kaufman is agoraphobic. Feldman is Feldman. Wears sunglasses in the office. Tobolowsky is Karl. I'm not sure how to describe Karl. They are all actually quite competent in their own way. There is a floppy disc joke. In the end they all make a stand to keep the new technophobe from getting fired. Her connection with the boss is what makes her indispensable. 

Dweebs is a good show. Good cast. I wish they were all available. 

No comments:

Post a Comment