Friday, April 8, 2022

Noble House - James Clavell

 


If you could see how short I am, and how high the shelf was where I found these books, you would wonder how I got them down without killing myself. Not only did I have to use the step stool, but I had to go over a chair and around the TV in the back bedroom to get to this shelf. It was like a rock climbing problem. This book is the origin of the Four Finger Wu screen name. I was rereading this book when I signed up for Kinja and I have not read it since. Almost ten years. Good book. 1200 pages. Takes place over a week. You really need to read Tai-Pan first to get the whole history of the Struan family, and there is also a payoff from King Rat. Great book, King Rat. Four Finger Wu is head of the smuggling clan. Very ruthless, very rich. He lost his thumb in a fight with river pirates while smuggling. It was hacked off. Noble House the book made into Noble House the 1988 NBC miniseries with Pierce Brosnan. I've never been able to find it but I am a fan of the Shogun miniseries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_House_(novel)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_House_(miniseries)

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/05/03/books/lots-of-plot-in-hong-kong.html

  • Four Finger Wu: Wu Sang Fang is the head of the Seaborne Wu, a large smuggling fleet. He is also a descendant of Wu Fang Choi, a Chinese pirate in Tai-Pan whom Jin Qua gave one of the half coins to, which he later redeemed to Dirk Struan. He boasts his fleet will smuggle anything, anywhere. This includes gold and narcotic smuggling. He has Old Friend status with Struan's, indicating that the two families have had a long working relationship and have built up a great deal of trust. Ian Dunross, the current tai-pan of Struan's, continues to cultivate this relationship, though he encourages Wu to avoid narcotics trafficking as being too dangerous.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment