Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Red Beans with Easter Ham Bone

 


Big ham bone. I had two pounds of dried red kidney beans in the pantry and two big onions so this is a double batch. Lots of chopped onion. More pics as I go along. I am pre-boiling the beans now before starting the real cooking. The water turns black so this step is to remove impurities and it makes for a smoother finished dish.

https://thegoldenhornblog.blogspot.com/2019/12/red-beans.html









After one hour removed the bone so I can get the rest of the good ham off. Season the beans and add the chopped ham I browned earlier. Bone back in. Go another hour.


With all the ham and bone added back in. It will change totally in the next hour. It will thicken considerably.


These were Covid beans and a little old so cooking time was about an hour longer. Three hours total. I will take them off in about 20 minutes after stirring a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment