Friday, June 3, 2022

Wu's TV Corner #28: Richie Brockelman, Private Eye

 


https://thegoldenhornblog.blogspot.com/2020/04/richie-brockelman-private-eye.html

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0686528/

1978 NBC. "Junk It to Me, Baby." Dennis Dugan private detective show. A spinoff from The Rockford Files, where he also did a couple of episodes as Brockelman. This ep. directed by Ivan Dixon. Written by Steven Bochco, Stephen J. Cannell, Robert E. Swanson. Bochco and Cannell were the creators. Appearing this week are: John Randolph, Barbara Bosson, Stanley Brock, Lisa Eilbacher, Gianni Russo, Nehemiah Persoff, Douglas Dirkson, Robert Hogan, Danny Dayton. The other day I was in the kitchen and I could hear Stanley Brock yelling on the TV in the other room. I know his voice well, and at least 80% of Stanley Brock lines are him yelling. Do you think Stanley Brock had to get in character to do all the yelling, or was it something that just came naturally?

Richie Brockelman has been hired to buy a vintage car for a rich collector. Brock is the sleazy landlord. Barbara Bosson is Richie's secretary. John Randolph is Mr. Brockelman. Richie leaves his wallet in the '54 Chevy, which is then lifted, leaving him in a jam with the cops. Lisa Eilbacher is the rich guy's daughter and appears in a bikini throughout. Not unusual for certain NBC shows in the 70s and 80s, which I noticed when I revisited Riptide. No wonder I watched those shows as a kid and teen.

The opening credits feature a car stunt gone badly wrong. Wrecked Richie's Mustang, but they kept it in. All but one episode is on Youtube right now, I think. Only five plus the pilot. I watched them all early on in my Youtube TV watching and it was one of my favorites. Good show. The Brockelman episodes of The Rockford Files are also worth watching. One is a great, two-part long con, with Harold Gould as Mr. Brockelman. In the pilot TV movie Mr. Brockelman was played by Norman Fell.

No comments:

Post a Comment