Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Wu's TV Corner #27: The Tony Randall Show

 


https://thegoldenhornblog.blogspot.com/2020/08/the-tony-randall-show.html

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1078062/

1978 CBS. "Eyes of the Law." Tony Randall judge sitcom. First season was on ABC. Second on CBS. I came across this particular episode in the Youtube sidebar while watching Working Stiffs, because a young Michael Keaton is in it, and it turned out to be one of the finest episodes of television I have watched in the last five years. Hilarious, sharp, edgy, and beautifully written. Series creators and writers of this episode were Tom Patchett and Jay Tarses. Responsible for a lot of my TV favorites here.

The judge is teaching a night class in law and Michael Keaton is one of his students, Zeke. Zeke only wants to know how much money judges make before he decides if that is something he wants to do. Barney Martin is the court reporter Jack. The only student with promise is a young blind lady. Judge - "What's the name of this law school?" "Ed's." "Ed's Law School?!"

This is why I started watching old TV shows on Youtube in the first place. Because you never know when you might find something good, if not great. The truly good and the truly bad are both kind of rare in television, I have found. This one is truly good. When I finished watching I thought it was funny when I checked the comments on Youtube and there are dozens of people saying damn, that was one great episode. Lucky accidents.

No comments:

Post a Comment