Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Musical Interlude: Beethoven String Quartet No. 9 in C major, Op. 59, No. 3

 


From Peter Lovesey's book The Tooth Tattoo. Murder in a string quartet. 

https://robertarood.wordpress.com/2013/10/27/on-the-subject-of-the-string-quartet-a-stellar-performance-by-peter-lovesey/

“Beethoven, wasn’t it?” Diamond ventured.
Anthony was supposed to get the idea that Diamond was a fellow lover of music. He didn’t show a glimmer of appreciation.
“I couldn’t place the piece,” Diamond added, which was true. He was about as capable of placing a piece of Beethoven as he was of riding a Derby winner. “Do you mind telling me what it was?”
Opus 59, Number 3,” Anthony said.
“Silly me. I’m a duffer with numbers.”
“In C major.”
“C major.” Diamond raised his thumb as if all had been made clear. “Any particular part?”
“The fugue.”
“And to me it sounded just as a fugue should.”
“It was too fast.”
“A shade quick, I’ll give you.”

https://ums.org/2016/05/17/beethoven-string-quartets-and-contemporary-musicians-how-do-they-combine/

No comments:

Post a Comment