Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Feed Them to Pigs

 


On Kinja I somewhat infamously stated that I would like to feed Jodorowsky and Tarkovsky to pigs because of their history of abusing animals on film. I am going to repeat that statement here as an illustration of how strongly I feel about the subject. I was just listening to Joe Dante talk about The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936) on the Trailers From Hell podcast, where director Michael Curtiz killed dozens of horses in the course of filming the charge scene. A scene so notorious it led to the banning of trip wires and other abuses on film. Errol Flynn was allegedly so upset with what happened that he jumped Curtiz.

Here is my statement: If you have to abuse or kill an animal in order to film a scene in your movie, you have failed as an artist, you have failed as a filmmaker, you have failed as a human being. You are a piece of shit.

lightninglouie had a good line in the comments where he had an interviewer speaking to Jodorowsky who says something like, "And then what happened?"  Jodorowsky - "And then he feed us to pigs." Interviewer - "Ah, yes."

No comments:

Post a Comment