Thursday, March 4, 2021

509-B: The Illegal Detonation of Poultry

 


Hello, it's us.

Bob and June Wheeler on Night Court.

https://tv.avclub.com/brent-spiner-on-playing-conan-o-brien-data-on-star-tre-1798232012

Night Court (1985-1987)—“Bob Wheeler”
BS: I think it was the first thing I did when I came out to Hollywood. It was just one of those things that… I’m from Texas, and it was a character I’d been doing when I was a kid, just for fun. Me and my friends would go into a Denny’s or something, and I would be that guy and order… [Bob Wheeler drawl.] A patty melt. Yeah. With extra cheese. [Laughs.] So I would do that character, and I never dreamed when I was a kid that I’d walk into a casting session and they’d hand me a script and I’d read it and go, “Oh my God! This is…” It was a character I called Elmo, and I read it and went, “Oh my God, this is Elmo! I can just go in there and do Elmo!” And I did, and they let me do it. I think we were probably going to become at least semi-regulars on the show in the next season. We did six of them, though. And when I say “we,” I mean Annie O’Donnell, who played my wife, and myself. I think they were kind of prepping us to come on in some capacity like that, but then I got Star Trek, and that was that.

No comments:

Post a Comment