Thursday, January 2, 2020

Crawfish Etouffee


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89touff%C3%A9e

https://www.gumbopages.com/food/seafood/etouffee.html

One cup each chopped - onion, celery, bell pepper
3 cloves garlic
2 cups chicken stock
3 cups crawfish tails (with fat) - 12 oz. frozen package, some are 16
1/4 cup chopped parsley
Salt, black pepper, cayenne

 First make a roux with one stick butter (1/2 cup) and 1/3 cup flour. *Note* - I had about four cups of frozen stock to use so I upped the flour ratio to a half cup. Some people like it thicker, some people want it soupier. Roux should be fairly dark. I went a few minutes past what is shown. Careful because a butter roux will burn quicker than one made with oil.\




Add chopped onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic to hot roux and cook till tender. 3-4 minutes. Add a little salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper here as well (I don’t measure so I’m not sure exactly how much. To taste we say.)


Slowly stir in chicken stock. Bring to a boil and drop to a simmer. I like to let it simmer a bit before adding the crawfish. 10-15 minutes.


Add crawfish tails and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Don’t overcook. At last five minutes of cooking add chopped parsley. Sometimes I will add some green onion too when I have it on hand. You can also sprinkle green onion on the bowl as a garnish.

Serve over rice with fresh bread. Freezes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment